Humanity In Crisis

~ Reach out a helping hand ~

~ Reach out a helping hand ~

I am blessed to live in a country thousands risk their lives to come to. I’m blessed that my uncertainties of tomorrow is if it’s going to rain or not. I have a roof over my head, financial security – money comes and goes. I’m able to pay my bills (most of them on time). Most important, our safety is not in danger. We can sleep safe and sound while knowing tomorrow is yet another day. Our children have everything they need; the only worry my oldest kid has these days is how boring his weekend’s going to be without his best friend. Legit for a boy his age. We’re not the most wealthy, but to some it may seem that we’ve won the lottery of life.

He knows it’s a risky journey, over the sea of countless bodies. He’s aware, there lies those who didn’t make it. Those who embarked on what would be impossible, who tried and failed. He’s seen the evidence. Oblivious he’s not. Leaving means risking his life and the lives of those he loves dearly. But what choice does he have?! Staying means not living at all – that’s not a life. In hope the journey begins. Hope for a better tomorrow. A tomorrow that may or may not come. Nevertheless, tomorrow’s uncertainties is better than today’s warfare.

This could have been any man, husband or father, trying to seek protection/refuge for himself and loved ones. This could have been my husband, making the impossible choice – to risk everything. It’s in us to seek security when there’s danger; we’re integrated with a flee or fight mode. Which is basic human instincts!

They are to blame? These are people, and not to mention children who were (and some still) caught in the middle of a warfare they didn’t choose to be a part of. Nobody chooses to risk their lives and the lives of their children if it’s not out of desperation.

My heart bleeds for all the fathers, mothers, daughters and sons who wait as their faith is decided by us, the fortunate ones. And all they seek is a chance for a better tomorrow. Who doesn’t wish that for themselves and their children? That’s one the reasons I’m where I am today – I had a parent seeking and wanting a better tomorrow for her daughter. I was one of the lucky if one can say that; we made it! So yes, my heart bleeds but at the same time it’s grateful!

Dalai Lama quote

I’m shocked and embarrassed of the lack there is of compassion and understanding, these days. And the excuses that keeps on coming, to just do nothing. “it’s not our battle” or “blame it on islam” The list of blames goes on!

It’s easy to judge while we sit safe and comfortably in our homes. We’re lucky, we’re blessed and we should be grateful it’s not us. But it could have been us – we’re all humans, we were just dealt a different set of cards.

I don’t claim to know much about politics. But I know enough to say, something needs to be done. And I don’t care about who’s to blame. I also disagree, for I believe it is now our battle to fight. It became our battle the moment they stepped on our doorstep. These are people we’re talking about – actual human beings (like you and me!) and not to mention children (innocent, I may add) who didn’t ask for any of this. Children who once were busy being just that, children.

Can we risk the lives of thousands or even millions because we’re afraid. But what are we afraid of? What is stopping us from seeing people in crisis for what they are – namely humans; who many have suffered a great loss?!

I can’t believe it’s even a discussion, we should help. Period! Right away, now is a better time! Something needs to be done. The problem is now knocking on our door. Now let’s open the freaking door and help. Enough is enough!

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “Humanity In Crisis

1. Tejaswi says:

You know, Amina (I love the name by the way, 🙂 My sort-of-foster daughter is also Amina, my best friend/brother Farhan’s daughter is also Amina, so…) … I tell my daughter and my friends and whoever asks, that my daughter can choose her own religion… she is too young to make a choice, but she is welcome to try anything.. In the school forms they asked me to specify her religion, I said she had none.. the nuns were offended.. then when I explained to them they were happy… Religion has nothing to do with empathy, being good, being decent or being human. I know that religion probably transforms or guides humans towards those paths. But it is not necessary to have a religion to be a good person, I think. I am an atheist and not such a good person, 🙂 So I wouldn’t really know, but I hope it is true..

Liked by 4 people

• Amina Berg says:

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment, and share your thoughts. Being kind, showing compassion and love has nothing to do with religion. In my opinion, one don’t automatically become a good person just by being religious. At the end of the day it’s about what kind a person you want to be.

Liked by 4 people

2. Sabiscuit says:

I wrote a similar sentiment on my blog last weekend. I was moved by the situation because someone who is very fortunate to have won the lottery in places to live, was complaining about the different places she needed to visit to get paper work together. I thought. There is obstacle but her unwillingness to move but look at those people who would gladly have the opportunity she’s having. I want to be grateful for everything I have. That means noticing the little things I take for granted and doing more with less. Most importantly, helping people means first taking advantage of every opportunity presented so that our lives are meaningful first. In that frame of mind, when we offer support, it will be a substantive gift to another human being.

Liked by 1 person

• Amina Berg says:

Great words, Sabiscuit. What I’m finding difficult in this is the lack of empathy some seem to carry. We should all be grateful but also empathize with the situation and the people experiencing it all first-hand. Do you have a link of what you wrote?

Liked by 1 person

• Sabiscuit says:

I set it to private on my blog because I was very emotional when I wrote it. I read the comments on the Independent and Guardian blogs and it was horrendous how lacking in compassion people were. Just horrible. x

3. noblethemes says:

Very good and true article! Very poignant and appropriate for our day and time; not super-idealistic, it IS possible for all of us to live better, kinder, gentler and more virtuous lives. And the Dali Lama’s statement speaks to this fundamental truth! I wrote a two-part, poetic piece on this very subject that you might, perhaps, be interested in:

Liked by 1 person

4. BeeHappee says:

Amina, your compassionate words always make the world more beautiful. Thank you forever so much!
    I had blogged a few times about the ‘immigrant’, the ‘refugee’ issue:

My heart bleeds when I hear people blame the refugees, political or economic refugees, all the same, for we all know, no one leaves home if they do not have to. I am sure you know of Warsan Shire’s poems, but I feel compelled to share, they always speak much better than I can say.

HOME,” by Somali poet Warsan Shire:

no one leaves home unless
    home is the mouth of a shark
    you only run for the border
    when you see the whole city running as well

your neighbours running faster than you
    breath bloody in their throats
    the boy you went to school with
    who kissed you dizzy behind the old tin factory
    is holding a gun bigger than his body
    you only leave home
    when home won’t let you stay.

no one leaves home unless home chases you
    fire under feet
    hot blood in your belly
    it’s not something you ever thought of doing
    until the blade burnt threats into
    your neck
    and even then you carried the anthem under
    your breath
    only tearing up your passport in an airport toilets
    sobbing as each mouthful of paper
    made it clear that you wouldn’t be going back.

you have to understand,
    that no one puts their children in a boat
    unless the water is safer than the land
    no one burns their palms
    under trains
    beneath carriages
    no one spends days and nights in the stomach of a truck
    feeding on newspaper unless the miles travelled
    means something more than journey.
    no one crawls under fences
    no one wants to be beaten
    pitied

no one chooses refugee camps
    or strip searches where your
    body is left aching
    or prison,
    because prison is safer
    than a city of fire
    and one prison guard
    in the night
    is better than a truckload
    of men who look like your father
    no one could take it
    no one could stomach it
    no one skin would be tough enough

the
    go home blacks
    refugees
    dirty immigrants
    asylum seekers
    sucking our country dry
    niggers with their hands out
    they smell strange
    savage
    messed up their country and now they want
    to mess ours up
    how do the words
    the dirty looks
    roll off your backs
    maybe because the blow is softer
    than a limb torn off

or the words are more tender
    than fourteen men between
    your legs
    or the insults are easier
    to swallow
    than rubble
    than bone
    than your child body
    in pieces.
    i want to go home,
    but home is the mouth of a shark
    home is the barrel of the gun
    and no one would leave home
    unless home chased you to the shore
    unless home told you
    to quicken your legs
    leave your clothes behind
    crawl through the desert
    wade through the oceans
    drown
    be hunger
    beg
    forget pride
    your survival is more important

no one leaves home until home is a sweaty voice in your ear
    saying-
    leave,
    run away from me now
    i dont know what i’ve become
    but i know that anywhere
    is safer than here.

by Somali poet, Warsan Shire

Liked by 2 people

• BeeHappee says:

I was reading just recently an article of a Lithuanian man who works at a refugee center in Germany. He tried to be honest and openly stated which refugees he liked and which he did not, he did claim that many people are using and ‘abusing’ the system, or fly from Afghanistan, throw out their passports and claim to be Syrians who lost all the papers in the war, claim to be half their age, etc. – which this worker claimed to be disgusting. But in my view, what makes a human go through all that – the humiliation of self and the risk taking- if not a simple search for a better life. What is is disgusting to me that we as humans cannot figure out how to stop blaming and have enough for everyone.

Liked by 1 person

• Amina Berg says:

That’s my point exactly. Instead of throwing judgements in all directions, we should try to understand the situation and in the eye of self-realization we all want and search for the same thing. No matter religion, culture or race.